Today I completed the repair on the rear spar, replacing the W-707G reinforcing fork. I then riveted the rear spar to the main ribs on the right wing.
I match drilled all the ribs to the main and rear spar of the left wing. Disassembled, deburred all the holes, and primed all the ribs.
Riveted the main ribs onto the spar on the right wing tonight.
I also aligned the wing wire conduit holes in the main spars using a laser level, then drilled them out to 3/4″ using a step drill bit. Worked quite well.
I made my first significant error on the wings. In match drilling a couple of the ribs to the rear spar at the wing walk area, I match drilled from the rib side to the spar. This created a hole in W-707G that cut right through the edge of this part.
What I should have done is match drilled from the wing spar side into the ribs.
$25 in replacement parts on order…
PS – This isn’t my photo, but it shows exactly what I managed to do.
Clecoed together and awaiting drilling to final size. Kind of has the general shape of the wing!
Match drilled this contraption tonight also.
So I have the written behind me! Ground school was completed just before Thanksgiving. I took the written about a week later. Passed easily with 89%.
I’m up to about 12 hours logged, should be soloing soon…
He’s come over a few nights to help. Can’t hardly procrastinate when help shows up!
In just a couple nights we got all the wing ribs deburred and fluted. Tonight we got the wing stands built. Tomorrow the wing spars will be installed on the stands!
Fitted all of the rear spar reinforcement plates. Drilled, deburred, primed a few of them, and riveted them together.
And loads of ribs to deburr, true the flanges to 90°, and flute the curves out. Kind of tedious.