Cheryl and Matt assisted again. We got the idle screw set at 650 RPM and got the fuel pump relay set so that it isn’t prematurely kicking on the backup pump.
We built up the back of the top cowl to allow sanding of the front side. This eliminated interference with the prop. Then ran the engine for the first time with the cowl installed. Found that the top cowl is fine but discovered the lower cowl is now showing some interference. Next, same procedure on the lower cowling!
Cheryl and Matt helped make two more high power runs to do more fuel Map tweaking. I’ll enter those values into the computer tonight. We also laid up more fiberglass on the cowl. Next, more sanding.
So on the day of my first engine run, while the engine lit off, it died fairly quickly. Over and over. A very frustrating and worrying problem.
Today, after troubleshooting assistance from tech counselor extraordinaire Jeff Point and EFII vendor and wizard Robert Paisley, we discovered the fuel delivery mapping was not properly programmed.
After reprogramming the ECU to proper values, the engine lit off and ran strong! We cycled the prop, delivering oil through the governor. Everything worked like a charm. No leaks at all of any sort. We ran the engine up to 2000 rpm, this thing was making power! More fine tuning to do, but certainly a victorious day.
Cheryl and Nick also came over to wish us good luck and manage the fire bottle. Cheryl inspected for leaks and found a little condensation from the oil breather line, which was to be expected.
My dad came to the hanger and helped with the weight and balance. The airplane weighed in at 1120 pounds with a CG of 81. A little more tail heavy than I’d have liked but seems manageable.
Jeff and Glenn then came over for first engine start. Cheryl and Matt assisted as well. Went well, but a few hiccups need to be straightened out…
Matt and I riveted on the top skin tonight, went very well. We also installed the oil drain valve and did the first oil fill. Finally, I managed to kick over a tray of 1000 rivets of about ten different sizes. I’ll be sorting tomorrow!
Installed the trottle and prop linkage at the quadrant.
Made the bracket for the trottle cable at the engine. Tonight I put it all together.