Cheryl helped tremendously and we laid up the canopy fairing fiberglass. I think it turned out nicely so far, hopefully not too much sanding…
Cheryl helped me all day on the airplane! We got a lot done. Cheryl sanded down the leading edge of the canopy to prep for the fiberglass fairing. She then filled the edge with epoxy and micro balloons.
We modified the lower rudder cap to clear the tail spring and added some fiberglass reinforcement.
I installed the center console to prep for running the throttle and prop cables.
I also installed the lower exhaust.
Last, I added the heat control lever.
A huge team effort by Gary, Cheryl, Matt and Nick resulted in the canopy being glued onto the frame. We used sikaflex and clamped the heck out of the back and sides, the front was weighted down with 70 pounds of sand. Now we wait for a few days for the Sika to cure…
My dad and I visited Jeff Point in East Troy and we were both treated to a motivational flight.
Today we also installed the ground block, and prepped for gluing on the canopy. Cheryl masked the frame and canopy! I also installed (and removed for safe keeping) the glare shield trim/padding.
Today I drilled and tapped the canopy lift strut mounting block. Cheryl and I then riveted on the forward skin of the tip up canopy frame. I also guy fit the canopy bracing. Tomorrow I bring the frame in for powder coating.
I riveted the last couple parts of the canopy frame. This included the little tabs at the front of the frame and the plate that connect the rear bow. A little cleaning up and it’s ready for powdercoating.
Over the last couple days I’ve worked on the canopy. To say I was a little nervous is an understatement. Thanks to the whole family and their help, it went flawlessly, including the BIG CUT!